Someone just moved to town and needs a dentist. She starts researching on Google, and finds an endless string of dentists’ websites. She has little idea of what separates you from the other dentists.
So she settles for the closest one.
But what if a compelling video montage of you and your staff warmly interacting with your patients had emerged amid the search results? It’s likely she would have clicked on your site, gotten a sense of what your practice is like, and perhaps felt enough of a connection to contact your office.
Sites incorporating video stand out in search results, because Google gives video content more ranking credit (search engine optimization [SEO] benefit) than text. But they also stand out because people are much more likely to click on a video search result than on text ones.
Here are suggestions on how and where to incorporate three types of video into your site to great effect. All can be pulled from one longer video.
The most important real estate on your website is your homepage, especially “above the fold”–the part visitors see immediately before scrolling.
A short video looping in the homepage’s header communicates much more than a static image could—and lets you quickly highlight what you want visitors to know about your practice.
Here are ideas on what to include in your header video.
- B-roll (ancillary footage you can intercut with your main footage) from your practice-overview and patient testimonial videos (discussed below)
- You and your staff interacting with patients, showing how friendly your practice is
- If you have a beautiful waiting room or features like iPads and TVs for patients use, highlight them.
- Your connection to the community. If you’re active in your community, you can add clips showing your participation at community events. You could also use drone footage of local scenery or landmarks.
Custom videography is preferable, but if you don’t have access to any, you can purchase stock video online from sources like Adobe Stock, Getty Images, and Shutterstock.
Here are examples of video headers you can draw inspiration from: smiletx.com, mywinningsmiles.com, lorilogandds.com
An overview video is extremely important for creating an emotional connection with potential patients. It’s where you communicate your brand, and why you’re a great dentist.
- Did something happen that made you want to be a dentist? Share your story.
- What separates you from your competition?
- If you’re comfortable with getting your family involved, including them in the video is a great way to show the personal, even vulnerable, side of yourself that makes you relatable.
- Include your best patient testimonials.
Here are examples of overview videos: Ramona Dental, Winning Smiles
After the header video, your overview video should be one of the first things people see. We recommend this be in the section directly beneath your main call to action on the home page. It’s best to include text to the left of the overview to let the viewer know what it is. (People read left to right, so this helps with the user experience).
Online reviews strongly impact your search rankings (in a good way), which helps drive traffic to your website.
Once people arrive at your site, if they find video testimonials, your positive reviews are brought to life. They’ll be able to see and hear your patients share their positive experiences at your practice. This is one of the most effective things you can do with video marketing.
Patient testimonial videos are also the easiest kind of video to create. You can start today—just pull out your phone (after obtaining permission), and record your patients’ testimonials. Most patients will be happy to help and gain a little stardom.
Post video testimonials on your website and social media accounts, and encourage your featured patients to post links on their own accounts.
Here are two examples of patient testimonial videos: Dr. Chris Hoffpauir, Dr. Naomi Sever
Get Practice Growth is a full service dental marketing agency that builds custom websites and produces videos for its clients, and offers exclusive package pricing to TDA members.